Are you familiar with Keurig coffee machines? Given that Keurig is the second most popular brewing system, we’d imagine you do, or at least heard about it before. We personally sometimes heard our coffee-loving friends discussing this brewer, or arguing about the Keurig 1.0 vs 2.0, but never really paid it much mind, given that we didn’t really need this machine at the time.
But the pandemic arrived, we couldn’t get our coffee the way we used to, so we’ve decided to spend some cash and get ourselves a Keurig brewer. And all was fine and all until we faced a question: “How do you clean a Keurig 2.0?”
Thus, we began searching and finding out some good and effective methods of cleaning Keurig 2.0.
And now, we would be glad to share with you everything we’ve found out about how to clean Keurig 2.0 so that you properly care for your coffee brewer and always enjoy amazingly tasty coffee!
What Is Keurig 2.0?
Keurig 2.0 is a single-use personal coffee maker which can brew up to 4 servings at a time. You can optimize the brewing process for K-Carafe, Vue pack, and K-cup. Plus, it lets you choose among ten brew sizes and select suitable coffee strength. The efficient auto-on-off saves energy too!
Moreover, it has a touch screen with a clock, high altitude settings, which makes it best for household uses!
With many more options in making your coffee delicious, it’s also quite tricky to clean Keurig 2.0, as it consists of many parts.
So then let’s take a look at how to clean a Keurig 2.0 in simple words!
Cleaning Keurig 2.0 Water Reservoir
Thanks to easy disassembly of parts and overall smart design, Keurig 2.0 cleaning and maintenance are relatively quick and straightforward.
You should start cleaning your Keurig 2.0 when you see the notification on the display screen as “Prime.” It means the needle is blocked, and you need to descale Keurig 2.0 to clear up the dirt.
Remove the water reservoir and wash it with a cleaning solution. Then rinse it well and let it dry. Now put it back in the machine after it’s dry and wash the filter the same way.
Limescale is a misfortune for many kitchen devices. That’s why descaling of any coffee brewer – be it Keurig 2.0, Keurig k560, or any other model – is an extremely significant process. Because when there is a limescale scourge in the machine, your java won’t taste good at all.
Thus, you should descale Keurig 2.0 every 2-3 months and whenever the water gets limescale. You’ll get an automatic reminder from the machine to descale when the time is right!
But how to descale Keurig 2.0 properly? Follow these steps:
Descaling Using Solution Recommended by Keurig
- Put the water and solution – Keurig Descaling Solution Brewer Cleaner – in the reservoir in the ratio of 1:1.
- Brew a cup of hot water under the dispenser, wait for 5 seconds after pushing the hand upwards and release it.
- Empty the cup after it’s filled.
It would help if you did this until the water is finished and wait for 30 minutes by keeping it turned on. The cleaning solution will do the job! Now brew again by using clean water to make sure it’s completely clean!
Descaling with Vinegar
But how do you clean a Keurig 2.0 with vinegar? It’s pretty simple!
- Take off the pods, any removable parts of the brewer, and empty the reservoir.
- Wash the parts, wipe them clean, and put them back together.
- Turn on the machine, put half water and half vinegar.
- Put a mug over the tray after brewing it and repeat the cycle till the reservoir is empty.
- Repeat the process with water to make sure it’s clean and ready to use!
Descaling with Citric Acid
Are you wondering how to clean a Keurig 2.0 coffee maker with citric acid? Simple!
- Put two teaspoons of citric acid in a liter of water in the reservoir.
- Let it stay for some time, and then brew a single cup. It would help if you made the mug empty by discarding the mixture.
- Repeat the steps until the brewer is cleaned.
- Now, add cool water and brew few more times, then add hot water and repeat the procedure.
- Keep doing this until the machine is thoroughly cleaned!
Cleaning Keurig 2.0 Needle
Now let’s take a look at Keurig 2.0 cleaning instructions for the needle! The process is straightforward!
- Remove the reservoir and machine’s back holder.
- Make sure to use a paper clip to clean the needle of any residue and rinse it.
Cleaning Keurig 2.0 Diffuser
The diffuser is another easy part of Keurig 2.0 cleaning.
- Unplug the coffee brewer, and remove the k cup holder.
- Wash the k cup holder using soap and warm water.
- Rinse it, attach it back and you are good to go!
How To Clean The Exterior Of Keurig 2.0
The exterior is exposed to dust all the time, so you should clean it as well.
- Take off the reservoir and drip tray
- Wipe the coffee machine with a damp cloth.
- Then wipe again with a clean cloth, and it’s done!
How Often To Clean Keurig 2.0?
Now that we know how to clean Keurig 2.0, let’s find out how often you should clean each part.
|Frequency||Parts to Clean|
| Once every week
|Clean the detachable parts of the coffee maker.|
|Once a month||Change the water filter cartridge. Here’s how to do it:
Put the cartridge in water, then rinse it for a minute. Now place the cartridge in the upper holder and wash the filter mesh. Place it in the reservoir and lock it, that’s done!
|Once in 3 or 6 months||Descale your Keurig 2.0 coffee maker to prevent clogging by line-scale or other particles.|
We hope this article has given you enough information on how to clean a Keurig 2.0! However, you should also learn how to drain a Keurig, just in case you plan on letting it sit for several weeks. If you don’t properly drain it, you run the risk of mold growth! Overall, take care of this incredible machine and you’ll always have the best-tasting coffee to enjoy!