With Cuban coffee making a comeback, people often wonder which are the best Cuban coffee brands? Since, unlike international brands like Nescafe, Cuban coffee brands are not as well known. But, that doesn’t mean that this type of coffee falls back in terms of quality – on the contrary. The strong, rich taste and aroma is what makes this coffee stand out and get more and more attention.
Cuban coffee is a strong, bitter but delicious drink with a rich flavor. Its coffee beans are organically grown in the Sierra Maestra Mountains. Thanks to a good climate, with fertile soil and a lot of sun, Cuban coffee is grown naturally, without any artificial and chemical fertilizers. These are then roasted to medium and dark. This makes the drink stronger, darker, and thicker than other coffee variants. So i’s no wonder people want to experience it fully; thus they look only for the best Cuban coffee brands to satisfy their need.
So, next time you crave a strong cup of coffee, get yourself a good Cuban espresso – and we’ll guide you through how you can do it, and which brand will allow you to enjoy this magnificent java!
Top 7 Cuban Coffees: Comparison Table
|Brand||Type||Roast||Single Origin/Blend||Caffeine Content||Volume|
|Café Bustelo||Ground||Dark||Blend||Caffeinated||10 oz.|
|Mayorga||Whole bean||Dark||Blend||Caffeinated||2 lb|
|Cafe La Llave||Ground||Dark||Blend||Caffeinated||10 oz.|
|Oriente||Pods||Dark||Blend||Caffeinated||24 coffee pods|
|Café Don Pablo||Whole bean||Dark||Blend||Caffeinated||2 lb|
As the world gets to know more about this java, more and more people are interested in only the best Cuban coffee brands 2021 and just overall about this type of coffee. And there are so many things to learn!
For example, do you know the right way to take this drink? The right way, how Cubans take it like a shot – instantly and in one gulp! So if you have never experimented before, be sure to try it the traditional way. Moreover, Cubans use Demerara sugar to make their coffee. That gives it such a richer and fuller taste!
Moreover, to fully enjoy this coffee the way it was intended, you need to find a good sort! So let’s take a look at some of the best Cuban coffee brands and what we need to consider to get that intended, Carribean experience!
The Specialty of Cuban Coffee
Cuban coffee is special: from its farming method to the brewing process. Thanks to it’s 100% natural and organic growing method it carries a distinct aroma and delicious taste!
Cuban coffee or café Cubano traditionally comes out of Moka pot. The concoction is so strong that people take it like a shot.
Cuban Coffee Variants
Cuba produces some amazing coffee, Arabica, and Robusta varieties. And the Cubans have some really interesting ways to make this coffee that not a lot of people knew before. Some of these Cuban coffee recipes are:
- Café Cubano: This is also called the Cuban espresso. All you need to do is create a creamy lather by mixing finely ground coffee beans and sugar.
- Colada: Colada is just a big pot of café Cubano has to be shared with your peeps. Have 7-10 smaller cups and pour it out gently for everyone you love. Cubans solemnly dip the end of their cigars in the smaller cups before lighting. This is a unique tradition.
- Cafe Con Leche: Café Cubano is at the heart of every Cuban coffee recipe. It literally translates from Spanish as “coffee with milk” – and that is exactly how this drink is made; a cup of steaming milk follows a coffee shot.
- Cortadito: This is for the ones who can’t handle coffee shots (pun intended). You make this coffee by mixing milk. This reduces the strength of the coffee but the aroma and flavor remain.
What Sets Cuban Coffee Apart?
Coffee is a universal energizer. A cup of it and your Monday blues are away! For a long time Cuban coffee was private and didn’t leave the borders of the Republic.
However slowly, it is making a mark in European and Asian nations. And, unsurprisingly, people are falling in love with this java. Cuban coffee brands reviews are seeing a steep upward surge.
But how do you know that it is a Cuban coffee? Let us help you out here with its main characteristics:
- It is strongly aromatic and dark-colored Arabica or Robusta roast.
- It is finely ground.
- Cuban coffee is grown in reddish-brown soil. It is naturally rich in humus. As a result, there are no fertilizers in it.
- Cuban coffee is completely organic coffee.
- Cuban coffee is hand-picked.
- Traditional Cuban coffee comes out by adding demerara sugar during the brewing. The heat from the brewing process hydrolyzes sucrose in demerara sugar. This gives it a unique sweetness, unlike sugar.
Choosing The Best Cuban Coffee: Top Brands On The Market
Having said so much about the Cuban coffee, you surely have developed a craving for a coffee shot. Here comes the major issue. How do you know which are the best Cuban coffee brands? These are not advertised, and unfortunately, their import is not possible. But some popular coffee brands do have their market appearance. You just need to recognize them. Here we have a list of best Cuban coffee brands 2021 based on Cuban coffee brands review and users feedback:
- Cohiba Atmosphere: Cultivated in the El Nicho plantation this is a strong-roast coffee brand that comes with a cocoa undertone.
- Turquino Montanes: If you love a dark-roasted coffee with a sweet hint of honey, this would be the perfect choice for you. The Arabia beans are dark roasted but the natural flavor of beans is creamy. This gives a unique, balanced coffee flavor.beans is creamy. This gives a unique balanced coffee flavor.
- Cubita: This is probably the best brand of Cuban coffee. You get the earthy smell in the Arabica beans from the Sierra Maestra mountains. The hand-picked coffee beans are sun-dried and then dark-roasted in Havana. What more do you need to have the flavorful aromatic cup of Cuban coffee?
- El Arriero: El Arriero is an organic, dark-roasted coffee brand. It carries an intense aroma and flavor found in the soil of the eastern mountains of cuba. As a result, it is one of the Cuban espresso brands that does not have a bitter taste.
- Cafe Serrano: If you are a fan of medium coffee roasts, café Serrano is your brand to go. It has a characteristic fruity and creamier flavor. Moreover, it is subtle and smooth.
- Montecristo: Who doesn’t know about Cuban cigars? This coffee is unique for having a hint of tobacco in it. Surprised? Well, this coffee brand finds its root in the Alto La Meseta mountain peak. The unique plantation gives it a tobacco and smoky aroma.
What makes Cuban coffee so strong?
Cuban coffee gets its strong flavor mainly from the way people cook it. The coffee ground is brewed with dark demerara sugar and traditionally. Milk is not always in the recipe. So the intensity of coffee lingers on the palate longer.
Moreover, a coffee brand comparison shows that most of them are dark toasted, which also gives a strong taste.
How do I make a cup of authentic Cuban coffee?
- Place ground coffee in a Moka pot filled with water.
- Bring it to boil.
- In a cup, put Demerara sugar and ground coffee over it.
- Add a few drops of boiled coffee, water and make a fine paste of sugar-coffee.
- Pour hot coffee over this paste.
- Stir and take the shot.
- For a more authentic taste, dip the end of Cuban cigar for that smoky aroma.
Why is it hard to find Cuban coffee in the US?
The political relations between Cuba and the USA got severed during the 1961 cold war. Subsequently, trade restrictions were imposed on Cuba.
Even though there are 2 million people of Cuban ancestry living in the USA, finding an authentic Cuban coffee is a tough task. The trade embargo restricts the import of authentic Cuban coffee brands. Whatever brands are found in the USA, they do not originate in Cuba.
Moreover, most of them grow in other Latin American countries.
If you have ever wondered what is the best Cuban coffee brand, you must have faced the issue of getting a hand on the packet. The severed trade relations deprive Americans of the heavenly taste of best Cuban coffee brands 2021.
However, with slight ease on the trade restrictions, some brands are making an entry, so it’s only a matter of time we all get to enjoy this delicious and rich coffee. After all, recently Nespresso also launched a Cuban coffee brand, which shows that we’re moving in the right direction to some of the best Cuban coffee out there!