The investment in the best scale for coffee will be a responsible one for a coffee connoisseur. Often we find people spending thousands of dollars on coffee machines and grinders, but they don’t usually consider purchasing the best coffee scale. Accuracy and precision are two vital ingredients for brewing the perfect cuppa, other than roasted coffee beans. There are gram scales appropriate for measuring coffee for home baristas.
The best pour over coffee scale will eliminate the guesswork and let you precisely measure every scoop of coffee and water you take. It will not only make your coffee different but will also help you maintain consistency in taste. However, the problem is that choosing this equipment can be complicated and bewildering. But, don’t worry – we will help you find only the best and affordable options on the market!
Top 7 Best Coffee Scales
7.48 x 5 x 1.18 inches
9.65 x 7.91 x 1.73 inches
8.5 x 6.42 x 1.54 inches
|7.4 x 6.1 x 1.7 inches
|2.99 x 5.67 x 0.67 inches
|9 x 6 x 2 inches
|6 x 5 x 4 inches
Importance of a Coffee Scale
A coffee scale is very important, mostly because of its:
To make the perfect cuppa, you need to put the right amount of ingredients. You should know the right measurements for your coffee and brew with the same amounts. Different coffee beans are unique in respect to their volumes so measuring by volumes can be inaccurate and faulty. So it’s always important to be precise and correct in your measurements. Even James Freeman in his book ‘The Blue Bottle Craft of Coffee’ said: “Volume is a less accurate way of measuring things than mass is. That’s not an opinion; it’s physics.”
The beans for espresso have different weights based on their roast levels and freshness so you need a coffee scale to measure the quantity before brewing it.
The barista scale will make your coffee faultless, by taking the precise measurements every time, maintaining taste.
We often grind more coffee beans than we need, which causes wastage. Once you start weighing the beans, you’ll reduce coffee wastage.
Trial and Error
The espresso scale will let you test and try while brewing coffee. So controlling and experimenting with the proportions, to discover new tastes and flavors will become easy.
Difference between Coffee and Kitchen Scale
The difference between these two lies in weight capacity and resolution. A kitchen or food scale has 4000 weight capacity and 1 gram resolution.
On the other hand, a coffee scale requires a weight capacity of 2000 and has 0.5 or 0.1 gram resolution.
Are Smart Scales Worth It?
There are many digital machines that weigh coffee and let you control the machine via Bluetooth. However, many users find these smart machines not worth the money. Why? Because the software of these devices is not always safe and fully functional. Moreover, these smart types of equipment have different modes of weighing and provide a particular flow rate.
Choosing the Best Coffee Scale
In order to choose the best coffee scale, you have to keep in mind several aspects:
- Precision: An exact measurement is an indispensable component for making the right brew. An accurate digital coffee scale will not show measurement lower than 1 gram, but if you want to maintain the exactness then you should own only the best machine.
- Size: This device is available in many sizes, but you should purchase based on your requirement. You can buy big equipment if you have a designated space. But, if you don’t then purchase a smaller version which will be portable.
- Battery Life: You can purchase the one with long battery life if you’ll be regularly using the machine. There are other options like a built-in lithium-ion battery, disposable batteries. You should consider going through coffee scale reviews to know user experiences before making a decision regarding battery life.
- Tare Button: It will reset the scale to zero after every use of weighing the beans and water individually. You can weigh each ingredient respectively and then add them together. It will help you maintain the exact ratio, enabling consistency in flavor.
- Timer: You can own a coffee scale with timer for brewing manually to save time. Moreover, according to a lot of coffee scale reviews, there are plenty of benefits of having an in-built timer. For example, it will allow you to experiment with various extraction times, calculate, giving you time to discover new flavors.
- Auto-Off: A very useful, battery-saving option; auto-off will shut down the machine if it’s low on battery. The con is that the machine can shut down while you’re poring over.
- Water Resistance: This is a vital feature. Water is used while brewing so it will prevent any damage due to spilling water on the equipment.
Ways to Use Coffee Scale
There are various ways of brewing. Each way requires different techniques of using the scale. There are several noteworthy approaches:
You need the best scale for chemex to weigh the items for this method. First of all, put the chemex on the machine and press the tare button to zero it down. Then, put ground beans into the chemex and finish the process.
To start, you have to open the portafilter of the espresso machine and put it on the weighing machine. Press the tare button to zero it down and put the coffee. Then attach the portafilter to the espresso machine after tamping it.
This is probably the most simple way to make a brew. All you need is to take out the filter and press the tare button. Then, put the filter on the machine and put the desired amount of grounded beans. Put the filter on the maker after weighing.
So overall, the best coffee scale 2023 is a great accessory to make the most accurate and consistent cup of brew. The scale eliminates any measurement flaw while brewing, helping you to keep up with the quality.
Also, these machines allow you to retain the taste of coffee. Another noteworthy point is that these appliances are not very expensive.
With that said, hopefully now you are more familiar with the best coffee scale and how to use it correctly. So, do you think you will be investing in this wonderful equipment? or perhaps you already have? If so, how did you like it? Feel free to share with us in the comments, we would love to hear from you!